Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Yo Ho, Yo Ho


Pirates don't wear glasses! That was the first words out of my five year old's mouth about my costume. But more about that later on in this post.



Since it has been a while since my last post let me give you quick recap. Friday my wife and kids were out of school. We spent nearly the entire day going from thrift store to thrift store so we could piece together our costumes for the big part Saturday night at our friends Kevin and Janet's house. All of the pics in this post are from that event.



Saturday we had the boys combined birthday party out at the corn maize that I blogged about a few weeks back. The little turned five on Oct. 22 and the older one will turn seven tomorrow on Halloween day. After the boys marathon three hour B-Day party we headed home and I watched Nebraska blow their lead and eventually lose to Texas while I donned me pirate garb. That last sentence works better if you read it aloud in a throaty growl.



We dropped the boys off at my in-laws and headed for the party, with a brief detour to the liquor store where I tried to talk the guy into giving me a bottle of rum since I was decked out in full pirate regalia. His withering stare pretty much said give me some money and get out of my store your weirdo.



After staying out to two in the morning we got up the next morning before the crack of dawn and headed out to watch a bunch of hot air balloons lift out of Palo Duro Canyon. There were taking part in a local balloon festival. I'll post pics from that later.



After taking off from work for the weekend I was ready to head back Monday and get some rest, but my boss had other plans. She sent me on a road trip to work on some machines in a town called Childress two hours south-east of Amarillo. After a ten hour workday I headed straight to my critique group and finally got home about nine where I proceeded to crash in bed shortly thereafter.



Tonight I am visiting Katrina's writing group. I'm looking forward to it but after they hear a bit of my Plundered Booty story they may never invite me back.


Now to the pics ...


ME, IN THE CLASSIC CAPTAIN MORGAN POSE. Don't tell, but that rum bottle in my hand is actually Whalers coconut rum.



MY WIFE JENNIFER LOOKING RATHER WITCHY.





Here is a shot of Kevin and Janet. The party was at their house. He went as an old lady and she is a poodle. Note the leash . It is often a man can say his wife is on a short leash and it actually be true. Over on the right is their son John looking rather regal in his Roman garb.
More pics later, but I have to shuffle off to work for now.

17 comments:

Patti said...

arg matey! my favorite liquor store here makes their employess dresslike pirates. if you are ever in need of a job you already have the company uniform!

Anonymous said...

Great blog as usual, Travis. I just wish you'd worn a costume, too. I've seen you in that get-up way too many times.

Brooke said...

Loving the Halloween pics! I put mine up today too, it's the most wonderful time of the year...disguises, candy...where can you go wrong?

Aaron said...

Pirates don't wear glasses!

haha!

So who got dibs on braiding the old man's bear with beads? :D

JM said...

Nice, you braided your beard. Did your five year old have anything to say about that?

JM said...

Oh and happy Halloween!!

preTzel said...

Very cool pics! I loved the costumes. I'll have to blog sometime about the one time I managed to get the Mister in to a bra and let me take pictures of him after I stuffed it full of socks. (I think I still have that picture around somewhere. ;)) Can you say DIVORCE? LOL!

WordVixen said...

Travis- you look great! The whole thing came together really well. And I love the (beads? braids?) pirate-y beard.

Jenn- I'm so lovin' the hair!

Charles Gramlich said...

Fun pictures. Kids tell it like it is, don't they?

Penelope said...

Your weekend sounded as wild as mine. Glad to hear you survived it!!!

-- P

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Great pics! and you make an awesome pirate, glasses and all!

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Travis,

And if you are not the pirate to write Plundered Booty, who is?

Happy Halloween!!

Terrie

Shauna said...

You look like a fierce pirate. Or make that a fierce, scholarly, pirate, tee-hee.

Vesper said...

Lovely post, Travis! And the costumes are very nice, too.
Happy birthday to your son, and manny happy returns of the day for both of them!

Tena Russ said...

Avast, matey! Whatever that means. What a fun dad you must be!

Cheryl Wray said...

Looks like a FANTASTIC time!!! Love the Captain Morgan's pose and I will absolutely have to dress up like a pirate the next time I go to buy rum. LOVE it!!!!

(Gary and I were pirates two years ago.)

Cheryl Wray said...

btw, I put our Halloween pics up on my blog too.

Have a great Halloween day today!!!