Sunday, February 3, 2008

Your Hole Is Bigger Than Mine

Texas has many things. From beaches to desserts. Mountains to swamps. And everything in between. It has good food, good music, and good people. What Texas doesn't have is groundhogs. So yesterday while most of y'all were watching a big fat critter come waddling out of his hole, us Texans had to drive out to a desolate cow pasture and look at these puny bits of hawk food.




That little rodent is the scourge of many a rancher, the target of many a guy sighting in his rifle, and the closest thing we got to groundhogs. Yep, it is a prairie dog. It pains me to say it, but I guess this proves ... Not everything in Texas is bigger.


***I actually cheated and took this picture Friday afternoon since I knew I'd be too busy to go chasing shadows yesterday. I tried to post a larger shot but blogger refused to let me. Maybe you can click on it to make it (it being the picture) bigger. But for the record it was sunny here so I'm sure shadows were plentiful, meaning six more weeks of winter here in the Texas Panhandle.

9 comments:

Sherry said...

Uh, er, um...I don't know you that well yet Travis -- I mean, this post title?!? Bwwaaaahhhaaahhaaa!!! But if you say so, I'll say "okay", sure. ;)

WordVixen said...

*snicker* he said click it and make it bigger... *snicker, snicker*

~grace~ said...

oh Wordvixen, get your mind out of the gutter. :P

Groundhog day just happened? Man, I totally missed that. How did that famous one do? Phil. More winter or spring yet? It was very spring-like here today.

Texas does have many things. Not all good. See: Dallas, the Stars, the Cowboys. (man, I have such a good time hating Dallas :)

A good thing I remember, though: the place in Amarillo where if you can eat a 72-oz steak in 1/2 an hour you get it for free. :D

Carleen Brice said...

Sorry Travis, but our mountains our bigger than yours. :)

Sherry, good to see you enjoying this post so much! LOL

Bernita said...

We always get six more weeks of winter up here, groundhog shadows or not.

Charles Gramlich said...

My brother hates these buggers. They are a chronic pest in his garden

Patti said...

our huge neighborhood hawk, that i once mistook as a monkey in the street, who definitely love your neck of the woods...um, prairie.

JM said...

Does a chupacabra look for it's shadow?

Aaron said...

Nothing a .223 can't fix. :)