Friday, April 4, 2008

Quote and Pics

My novel in progress, Plundered booty is broken down into three parts. At the start of each part I include a quote that I feel bears relevance to the upcoming section. As a result of scouring through quotes I have found many good ones that do not work for my story but that I like. I'm going to include a few of those today as well as a few more recent pictures.

Ernest Hemingway ~ A man's got to take a lot of punishment to write a really funny book.

I hope this one isn't true since I am attempting to write a funny book.


Tom Snyder ~ If we're not supposed to eat animals, how come they are made of meat?


This goes along with my personal motto "Lettuce is the Devil quite nicely.

Erma Bombeck ~ There is nothing sadder in this world than to awake Christmas morning and not be a child.


This is why everybody should have kids of their own. That way they get to experience Christmas and life through their eyes. Without that joy I think you age far too quickly.

Sir Winston Churchill ~ Writing a book is an adventure. To begin with, it is a toy and an amusement. Then it becomes a mistress, then it becomes a master, then it becomes a tyrant. The last phase is that just as you are about to be reconciled to your servitude, you kill the monster, and fling him to the public.


No truer words have ever been spoken, and I am in that tyrant stage.

And this quote goes well with my recent tattoo discussion ...

I always look for a woman who has a tattoo. I see a woman with a tattoo, and I'm thinking, okay, here's a gal who's capable of making a decision she'll regret in the future. ~Richard Jeni

This is the entire crew (minus me of course who is taking the shot) that recently went to Six Flags down in Arlington, Texas.

That's my wife over on the far right and my boys front and center. Behind them is our friend Janet and her seventeen-year-old daughter who is a very talented writer in her own right. Over on the left is our friend Steve and his fifteen-year-old daughter who is a budding golf pro.

And a recent shot of me.

19 comments:

Michele said...

Great quotes--all of them! The Richard Jeni one had me cracking up.

Melissa Amateis said...

I love the Winston Churchill quote. Very true.

Great pics!

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Travis,

Gorgeous family!

And I'm with Melissa--Churchill nailed it.

Terrie

The Anti-Wife said...

Nice pictures. Thanks for sharing the quotes.

Unknown said...

Great quotes. And I love Erma Bombeck. She said it quite nicely. I always tell people I kept having kids far apart so I would stay young. It gives me a reason to act like a kid. I can't imagine NOT having small children in my life, but I know, one day it will happen, unless I have grandchildren before my youngest leaves the house! My youngest and my oldest are 16 years apart!

Clare2e said...

So boring, but I love the Churchill quote, too. Richard Jeni is sadly, living proof of the Hemingway quote. A miserable guy and a brilliant comic, IMHO. But you don't have to go that route, we hope.

I see where your little towheads get their fair hair!

Brooke said...

Love the quotes, I was really bummed when Erma Bombeck died, she was a pisser.

Erica Orloff said...

Well, Travis . . . I agreed with Erma through Child #1, #2, and #3. Then I had the Demon Baby. And he is aging me at an alarming rate.

:-)

E

Carleen Brice said...

I actually disagree with the Churchill quote. By the time I get some pages that can be edited, I'm back in love again.

alex keto said...

Humor and Hemmingway? Not usually two things i associate together.

Old Ernie wasa good writer but most definitely a jerk in life

Charles Gramlich said...

The tattoo quote was great. Reminds me of the comment, "We could be that mistake."

Cicily Janus said...

It's hard to read the quotes...two of them are in gray. But..they're all great. And that pic of you is fantastic. Nice to see everyone.

Miss you babe,

Cicily

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

The Richard Jeni quote really cracked me up!

Oh and I have my Monday post up already. How is that for efficiency? Well I cheated and am putting up a post on my MS walk today that takes us through some nice parts of town!

And great photos of you and the family. Travis - you are very handsome with your goatee!

Unknown said...

Those are terrific quotes - don't know why, but the last one really cracked me up!
LOL!!!
Sam

Anonymous said...

I like the tattoo quote but I don't agree with it since I have one.;)

Anonymous said...

in response to the tattoo quote?

especially if it's a "tramp stamp"! (I can say that, I have one)

Mr. Shife said...

The quotes are great. I hope the book is going well. I think the Richard Jeni one is my favorite.

Jess said...

LOVE all of the quotes.

And loved the pictures. Smile, why doncha? You have great success ahead, my friend!

Bubblewench said...

Great quotes! Nice.. can't wait to read Plundered Booty.. I know you must have mentioned rum in there at LEAST once..