Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Book, Kids, and a Funny

For a couple of my blogging buddies, their One Day arrived earlier this week. Therese Fowler's novel Souvenir and Carleen Brice's novel Orange Mint and Honey both came out yesterday. I haven't picked up either book yet, but I will soon and you should too. Support debut authors. Often times their books are better than the latest offering by a perennial best seller. Why? Because lots of times they've had years to perfect and craft the story instead of worrying about cranking out another one.



"[An] accomplished debut...Brice's straightforward prose is dead-on in describing the challenges Shay and her mother face as they reconnect." ~ Publisher's Weekly

"Carleen Brice's Orange Mint and Honey, a new novel about real mama drama, will have you hooked from page one. Taking on the fabled mother-daughter bond, the Denver author confidently strides onto terrain many lesser writers have tripped over--with winning results." ~ Essence magazine




"Souvenir is an unforgettable story, a searing yet redemptive drama that illuminates the possibility of second chances, the naive choices of youth, the tensions within families, and the transforming power of love." ~Random House


“A captivating and heartrending novel of lost love, family secrets and betrayal from a major new talent. Do, for love, what you would not do...” ~HarperCollins UK

"Truly impossible to put down." ~Booklist



A lot of y'all are avid readers always in search of a good book. So the next time you're at your local bookstore pick these up. Or shop from the comfort of your home and order them through Amazon by clicking the links above.

*********************

Through the ages fathers have tried to get their kids to eat things on their plate by saying, "Go ahead. It'll put hair on your chest."

I'm no different, so the other night I tell my two boys, "Eat your steak. It'll put hair on your chest."

The five-year-old chimes in, "Like you Dad?"

I nod.

"Oooh, gross," said the seven-year-old as he pushed his plate away.

*************

And a joke my wife sent me via email ...

A minister was completing a temperance sermon.
With great emphasis he said,"If I had all
the beer in the world, I'd take it and pour
it into the river."

With even greater emphasis he said, "And if I
had all the wine in the world, I'd take it and
pour it into the river."

And then finally, shaking his fist in the air,
he said, "And if I had all the whiskey in the
world, I'd take it and pour itinto the river."

Sermon complete, he sat down.

The song leader stood very cautiously and
announced with a smile, nearly laughing,
"For our closing song, let us sing Hymn #365,
"Shall We Gather at the River."


Meet y'all at the river.

19 comments:

Chris Eldin said...

Often times their books are better than the latest offering by a perennial best seller.

That's very well put. Thanks for the recommendations you're putting here.

LOL at your kid's story!!

Mom In Scrubs said...

Thanks for the reading material ideas, Travis.

I like the kid story. I despised onions as a kid. My grandpa always told me onions would make me grow hair in my ears. I never figured out if he was trying to get me to eat my onions or not...

I still don't eat them much. Can't be too careful.

~grace~ said...

just so you know--that "hair on the chest" thing works less well with girls.

which river? I'll get my coat.

Jess said...

Oh, I needed the laugh. :)

Noted book selections. Now, put them all on one blog for me... in your spare time...

:)

Nan Higginson said...

Great info on the latest releases. Thanks for the shopping list!

And, re:your comment on the years of perfecting the first sold manuscript - AMEN to that! It leaves me worried that once I get one of my aged, constantly revised stories sold that I'll bomb out on number 2!

Guess that's why we need to have at least a couple irons in the fire. Maybe all these years of going unnoticed will pay off in the end!

Write ON!

Carleen Brice said...

Thanks for the plug, Travis. Can't wait to return the favor!

Melissa Amateis said...

I LOVE what kids come up with!

It's very true what you said about debut novels often being better than perennial best sellers. And it's a shame, really, that once you are published, you don't have the time to devote to really polishing your work like you do before you're pre-pubbed. That's one of my worries, actually, that once I finally AM published, I won't have the time to dedicate to my craft like before.

Holly Kennedy said...

Fun post, Travis!
Love the hair on the chest reaction from your son. Sounds like how mine would've reacted.

P.S. I'm behind on blog comments and answering my email, but yes, I do speak at writers confrences, etc. (you'd asked in an earlier post on my blog last week.) I've presented at the Maui Writers Conference, speak at local colleges, and teach teenage kids creative writing at high schools in our region 2-3 times a year.

Let me know when your event is and we'll see if it fits. I'd certainly consider it :)

Have a good week!

Monnik said...

I love book recommendations. I'll check them out!

That River joke is great. :)

JM said...

I'll try to remember to pick up those books.
I like your son's reaction! Hilarious!

Charles Gramlich said...

Starts singing. "Down by the riverside. Down by the riverside. Down by the riverside. The river side of booze."

Ello - Ellen Oh said...

Oh! I loved that last joke! And your son cracked me up! Ha!

Shauna said...

BWAHAHAHAHA! That is an AWESOME joke! LOVED IT! I can actually see it happening and I know exactly how that song leader would feel. I COULD NOT have kept a straight face!

Your kids are too cute. I've found myself spouting phrases I never would have thought I'd utter. All in the name of parenting. Though I personally haven't used the "hair on your chest" one, my husband uses it frequently. With much the same results. ;-)

Thanks for the book suggestions. They both sound wonderful! Congrats to the authors on their debuts.

Clare2e said...

The books look great and congratulations to the debut authors!

Lana Gramlich said...

Good advice on the books & *ROFL* @ the jokes!

Therese said...

Great joke! It's gonna be one crowded river bank!

And thanks a bunch for spreading the word about my novel. :)

Patti said...

i'll bring the straws and umbrellies!

The Anti-Wife said...

I'm on my way to the river. Got my inner tube and a really big straw.

Bubblewench said...

I will have to try these 2 novels! Thanks for the suggestion.

Love the kid story, that is funny. you must be one hairy SOB! LOL!

I didn't hear the minister mention rum, so I'm safe.