Thursday, August 13, 2009

Bridie & Finn Forgotten Boook Friday

It's been a long time since I participated in Patti Abbotts great weekly blog feature -- Forgotten Book Friday, but I recently read a novel that fits the bill.



Bride & Finn by Harry Cauley was published in 1994. Set in the early 40's during World War II it is very much a character driven novel. Exactly the kind of book I love.

Told from the POV of a young boy, it is very much the tale of a relationship. Finn hates Bridie when she shows up in in fourth grade class, but everyone else falls in immediate love with her. The rest of the novel is all about their relationship over the next decade. They must deal with the realities of war, racism and of course the discovery of sex.

I enjoyed the authors ability to take me inside Finn's head and to slowly reveal the other's character traits in subtle ways, but the writer in me was awed by the ending. Some might find the ending abrupt and not completely satisfying but myself I enjoyed the reality of it. I've always been bothered by the tidiness of endings when in reality life and it's problems rarely comes with a neat little bow ties on top. This novel reads and feels very much like a tale that a personal friend might tell you. It is the kind of story that stay with you and if it were possible I'd feel obligated to give the narrator advice once it was over.

12 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Haven't even heard of this one but it sounds interesting.

pattinase (abbott) said...

It does sound wonderful. Thanks for bringing it in.

alex keto said...

couldn't understand the phone number

Terrie Farley Moran said...

Hi Travis,

This sounds like a really wonderful book. I agree that there is nothing as engrossing as a character driven book.

And I adore most books set during WW2.

Terrie

Kathleen A. Ryan said...

Thanks for sharing this book with us. I also love WWII stories; and I'm with you, sometimes a "reality" ending is better than the one wrapped with a bow. We don't get many bows in life, and when we do, it's a real treat.

Teresa said...

Sounds like a great book, Travis. Thanks for sharing.

Monnik said...

Sounds like a great read!

Mary said...

Love getting book recommends. Haven't heard of this one. I'll take a look.

Suzanne said...

Hi darling. I know, it's been awhile. What? I'm busy. Apparently you are too so don't even look at me like that. Get over it. I have a surprise for you. Go to my blog. I found your brother!!! No really honey, I did!!! He's a writer too! Imagine that. I think one of your mother's might be hiding a family secret. Let me introduce you: Otin, Travis. Travis, Otin.

Okay, you two work it out.

XO

P.S. Sounds like a good book. Yes, of course I'll read it, and YES of course I'll be back. I just have to get you back on my blog roll after that disastrous blogroll faux pas. Oh, and you know what, you could get your lazy ass up and stop by for a visit every now and then. Just saying.

JM said...

Never heard of it, but might venture out to get it sometime this week.

Mango Girl said...

A fellow Texan, too!

I will have to play catch up on your blog as well...

Thanks for stopping by!

Helen Ginger said...

I'm intrigued by the ending of the book. You make me want to find the book and read it to see how it ends!

Helen
Straight From Hel