Tuesday, November 11, 2014

The Right Writers Rites

Days, weeks, months ... anymore they slip by like the phases of moon. Sure I notice and note the spectacular moments like a glowing full moon, birthdays, holidays, and such., but it seems like time passes quickly, yet unremarkably so.

Writing wise I have not been as busy as I'd like to be. I'm always working on one thing or three but the finish lines have been harder to find. Self-imposed deadlines are not as demanding and life is busier with two active boys so excuses to skip a night or three are easier to come by. I'm writing this as a prod to myself as much as anything. A reminder that I need to write more, push myself harder, strive for lofty heights even if I can't currently see the peak from my viewpoint.

Writing is a solitary task for the most part yet I have a need to surround myself and interact with fellow writers. Somehow my creativity feeds off of their energy. Not like some kind of soul sucking zombie that leaves me fellow authors comatose and incapable of anything more that a clumsy shuffle but for of a spirit bolstering camaraderie that stirs the neurons in all our brains. I do miss the days of critique group and even of a larger supportive blogging community, but time waxes on and the writing community takes on different shapes. We must adapt with those changes.

Which brings me to a fine organization of which I am proud to be an inaugural member.


The Women’s Fiction Writers Association is…
An inclusive organization of writers who create stories about a woman’s emotional journey.
We are a volunteer-run organization dedicated to providing a community for career-focused women’s fiction writers via networking, education, and continuing support in career growth.
Whether you are an aspiring, debut or multi-published author, the Women’s Fiction Writers Association offers resources to help you improve and succeed.

Member Info Can Be Found By Clicking Here 

The WFWA will be hosting a writers retreat in September of 2015. As one of the retreat coordinators I will certainly be there and I hope to see some of my longtime writing friends. There will be something for everyone regardless of what stage in the writing process you are. 


Annual Writers Retreat

Save the date!!

The first WFWA retreat will be held September 24-27, 2015 in Albuquerque, New Mexico.

The details of the agenda are still in progress but here’s a quick snapshot:

The retreat will kick-off on Thursday evening with a “putting a real face to the profile picture” meet-and-greet. Friday morning, instructor, agent and WFWA member Donald Maass will present a workshop geared for women’s fiction writers. 
 
The afternoon will be spent putting what you’ve learned from the workshop into use, attending the breakout sessions (details to come), or networking with fellow attendees. Saturday will include more writing and breakout sessions throughout the day and conclude with an awards dinner.  
 
Sunday we sadly say good-bye.
 The retreat committee is working hard on the agenda and we’ll be updating the website and sending out emails as things firm up
.
The WFWA retreat is a craft and networking event. There will be agents attending but we will not be offering pitch sessions. It’ll be a weekend to discuss women’s fiction and the publishing industry, to work on your WIPs, your query and your synopsis, to meet fellow WFWA members. We’ll write, we’ll brainstorm, we’ll network, we’ll learn, we’ll have fun. And to keep with the retreat feel, we’re limiting attendance to 100 members.

Early registration fee will be $325, closing four (4) months prior to the event, and $375 after that. Registration will be limited to WFWA members.

Hotel rooms will be $129 a night.
If you have questions or recommendations, please don’t hesitate to contact us at retreat@womensfictionwriters.org.

Orly Konig-Lopez, WFWA president and retreat chair
Travis Erwin, retreat coordinator
Cerrissa Kim, retreat coordinator


 

 

4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Sounds like a great organization and kudos to you for being an inaugural member! You rock, Travis.

B.E. Sanderson said...

Travis! Long time no see, dude. I totally understand about life intruding on the writing. Too cool about the writing organization, and I'm so glad you're getting back into the swing of things again. =o)

Charles Gramlich said...

I'm working on a big nonfiction project, which is cramping my style. Would rather be writing fiction.

Play Bazaar said...

satta king
play bazaar Needle therapy can help restore you and give you more vitality to manage your day.