Tuesday, July 2, 2013

A Tragic Shame

Most of blog circle knew Chris Eldin. At least those of you who have been reading this blog for years. She was in our circle. She was one of us. Before Chris began putting her real name out there she blogged under the name Church Lady.

Most of y'all have who knew here have heard the tragic news by now. Chris took her own life last August. Most of us thought she was simply taking a social media break. I heard the new first thing yesterday morning. it ook me all day just to attempt putting my thoughts in words to post a message on Facebook. here is what I wrote .... 

Early this morning I learned that a friend of mine committed suicide nearly a year ago. This was a friend I never met in person, but once upon a time communicated with on a near daily basis. A fellow writer. A blogger. A friend in every sense of the word even if we never spoke face to face.
The news hit me hard. She had disappeared a good while back but people take social media breaks so while several were concerned in our circle, no one I know feared her absence was due to anything this drastic. This was an intelligent and talent woman. Who decided her best option was to step into oncoming traffic.

It happened a year ago. Some might say a real friend would know about this event long before now.

I have no words. No excuse. Not on my behalf, or the hoards of other online friends Chris left. But I hope that if any of my other friends, whether they be people I see face to face, or merely talk to via social media feel this kind of desperation that they will reach out. Ask for help. There are people who care. Probably far more than you realize.


A group of Chris's friends are compiling a tribute project in her memory. If you knew Chris and are interested in contributing anything a memory ... a story ...  a letter to Chris or whatever to the project please contact me and I will get you the particulars and in touch with the right people.

9 comments:

Merry Monteleone said...

Beautifully put, Travis.

My heart still hurts. Anyone who thinks online friends cannot be as dear to you as the people you know in the real world must not have the amazing writing/blogging circle we've been privileged to be a part of.

Love you, Travis (because we obviously don't say that enough).

Old Kitty said...

I don't know Chris but I am very sorry to read of what happened. It's lovely to know she is loved and remembered. My prayers and condolences to her family and friends. Take care
x

Sarah Hina said...

Well said.

Few people have the kind of positive impact Chris had. No wonder we're all reeling at her loss.

The writing tribute is a great idea.

Precie said...

It's such a painful shock. She was such a vital person, and it's impossible to comprehend what happened. Thank you for such a beautiful remembrance.

Hilary said...

I didn't know your friend but I'm so sorry for your loss, Travis.

Charles Gramlich said...

Time passes so strangely in the blogosphere. I would never have realized it had been over a year since I'd last blogged with Chris. Wow. It's been a sad day.

Sarah Laurenson said...

Thank you, Travis. She was a force to be reckoned with in a very good way.

Mandy said...

I did not know your friend but I have experienced having to wonder "why" and felt incredible loss after a family member of mine took her life over a year ago. I'm so sorry.

Play Bazaar said...

Logical examinations are continuous with respect to the adequacy of such medications,play bazaar
play bazaar